Contributed by Muriel L.
I’ve always been a fan of the Oscars so I’ll be watching with friends on Sunday evening to see whether or not my favorites are given the nod. Below are the nominees for the marquis categories:
|Best Picture:||Amour, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Les Misérables, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty|
|Best Actor in a Leading Role:||Bradley Cooper, Daniel Day-Lewis, Hugh Jackman, Joaquin Phoenix, Denzel Washington|
|Best Actress in a Leading Role:||Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Lawrence, Emmanuelle Riva, Quvenzhané Wallis, Naomi Watts|
|Best Director:||Amour (Michael Haneke), Beasts of the Southern Wild (Benh Zeitlin), Life of Pi (Ang Lee), Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russell), Lincoln (Steven Spielberg)|
Here are the awards I would hand out on Oscar night (I’m only focusing on choices related to movies of personal interest):
- Best Picture – Silver Linings Playbook. I’m definitely voting with my heart here though I think the sweeping theatrical presentation that is Lincoln would be deserving. As an aside, there is a part of me that feels the Academy was remiss in excluding Argo from contention, but there we have it!
- Best Actor in a Leading Role – Daniel Day Lewis. Bradley Cooper would deserve consideration for Best Actor in a leading role for his originality and how he made me feel his character; but I cannot deny the powerful portrayal of Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln—he made me see Lincoln as he embodied what I imagine Abraham Lincoln would be like if I spent time with him. From his steadiness of resolve to his deliberateness of speaking to his commitment to righting wrongs to his physical appearance.
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Robert DeNiro. This is a partially-biased selection. I happen to love most anything Robert DeNiro is in; but, beyond that I do believe he played the role with the passion and powerlessness that a parent might feel when they feel unable to spare their children emotional pain.
- Best Director – Life of Pi. There is no one better than Ang Lee. He brought to life one of my favorite books in a way that swept me gloriously away!
As for the remaining categories, here is your opportunity to vote (if you haven’t already).
But, in the end, who have the Academy chosen? What will be the post-Oscar storylines?
- Will they reward the poignant depiction of mental illness that was delivered by Bradley Cooper? It was such an intimate and lovingly presented experience watching as he navigated his bi-polar world. Or, will Daniel Day Lewis win for his masterful presentation of a figure of such historical significance?
- Will they acknowledge political history with Lincoln? Or shine a bright light on mental illness by recognizing Silver Linings Playbook.
- Will they vote global and recognize Amour?
- Will the fantastical prevail in the form of Life of Pi?
In approximately 72 hours we will all know!
What are your Oscar picks? We invite you comment in the box below.