Contributed by Troy S.
Job interviews can be intimidating, especially when you haven’t interviewed for a while. Here are 10 steps to take before your next interview:
- Research the company. Look at their website and do a google search for any articles. Imagine how it looks if you are not not sure what the company even does.
- Practice your answers. Interviewers ask the same questions: What is your biggest weakness? Why did you leave your last job? Practice answering the questions before they are asked.
- Prepare some questions to ask. What do you want to know about the company? About the position you are applying for? Avoid questions about pay, vacation time or where your desk would be. They are presumptuous. If you can’t think of any question, you can always ask what a typical day in the job would be like.
- Clean up your presence online. Recruiters look on line either before or after your interview. Google yourself and see what pops up. Change your Facebook privacy setting to ‘Friends only.
- Pack what you need. Print out directions, find out how long it takes to arrive, check the weather and include an umbrella if necessary. Don’t forget a copy of your resume in a nice folder. Lay out your clothes and make sure they are clean.
- Listen to some music. On your way to the interview, listen to some music that pumps you up. You want to be energized and excited to be there.
- Turn off your phone. Don’t put it on vibrate. Shut it off. You don’t want it to ring or vibrate loudly during the interview. You can’t take a call while you are interviewing so just shut it off.
- Arrive 15 minutes early. Don’t show up on time or late. This is your first impression and you need to show why they would want to hire you.
- No longer interested, cancel. If you decide you are no longer interested in the position, cancel the interview. Don’t be a no-show.
- Relax and smile. Take some deep breaths. Smile and have a positive attitude.
Do you have any job interviewing tips you would like to share?
Views and Reviews