Contributed by Carol K.
People are living longer lives. It was once unheard of to live to 100, but now people are even living beyond 100 years old.
Here are some things you can do to live a long, healthy life:
- Avoid sugar. Sugar in the amounts that we eat today (over 150 lbs, or over 1/2 cup a day,) continually upsets our body chemistry, causes the inflammatory process and leads to disease. The less sugar you eat, the less inflammation, and the stronger the immune system to defend us against infectious and degenerative diseases. (Source:LowCarb Monthly Magazine)
- Eat nuts. Nuts are super healthy and eating a handful a day increases your cadiovascular health.
- Sleep. Sleeping restores our cells and helps us heal our bodies. Without the proper amount of sleep, your body won’t heal as well and rejuvenation will be lost.
- Floss daily. Making this a part of your dental routine eliminates bacteria build-up in your mouth that can get into your blood stream and cause inflammation, increasing your risk of strokes and heart disease.
- Don’t smoke. We all know about this one, no need to go into details.
- Be social. People who socialize and have strong support systems are 50% less likely to develop dementia due to lower levels of Cortisol, a stress hormone.
- Take vacations. If you work all the time and do not take time off, your stress levels will remain high increasing your chances of a heart attack. Taking time off can relax you and put your life in perspective.
- Laugh. Laughing eases stress. If you are able to laugh it off instead of dwelling on the bad parts of life, you will life longer.
- Embrace new technology. Keep your brain cells young and healthy by learning new things whether it is learning to use an iPad or learning to sculpt.
What health tips do you follow to live a long life? We’d love to hear from you! So, please get in touch at Food For The Soul